Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cooking

My earliest cooking venture dates back to the year 1999 when I started living independently - away from home :( and definitely away from the comforts of being asked for food, being served and being coaxed for more. But determined as I was to do things on my own, I started off by buying a pressure cooker - a cute little 1.5 litre baby cooker. Oh how much I loved it!
My first preparation - what could have been simpler than moong dal khichdi. So went for it, all excited. My landlady being the only one around to consult, discussed with her kitna namak and kitna haldi, close the lid and waited eagerly for the sssssssssssshhhhh. I waited and waited but there was no sssssssssssshhhh. However, what followed was a strong burning smell - so strong that aunty came out running from her room and just switched off the gas knob.
"Beta lagta hai aapki khichdi jal gayi...pani kitna diya tha?" she said.
I replied with a sorry tone "Pani bhi dena tha kya????????????"

Hahaha...

I have come a long way from that now. Cant call myself any expert though because I have mummy and mama (my mother-in-law) who are both excellent cooks and my alltime experts. Today, it feels great when my hubby dear says "Wow! excellent" and his body language adds "finger licking good". Thats enough to keep me smiling for the rest of the day and thinking how can I better it next time.

3 comments:

Pallabi Patnaik said...

ohhhhhhhhhhh godddddddddd
this was really funny

well a good start..... not for cooking , for the blog !!!!

;)

Unknown said...

:)
i learnt cooking after my marriage.
still cant believe that i can cook now..

Unknown said...

Wow! Congrats on the blog...And I cant believe its been few years since u started cooking...after all the amazing food that I have tasted...